I picked up an old chair off craigslist for $25 bucks. It came in this hideous floral fabric print. But I knew it had potential!
I had my eye set on those pretty french style chairs at Anthropologie but thought this DIY would be more fun and save me some money.
People look at me crazy when I say I painted fabric but it’s possible! I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Louis Blue for the fabric and Old White for the wood trim of the chair. Annie Sloan Chalk paint is simply amazing! It allows you to paint any surface without primer or sanding – even fabric. It’s super easy and great quality. I went to the Annie Sloan website and located vendors in Atlanta that sold the paint stumbling upon a great local store called the Bird and the Bee.
– Annie Sloan Chalk paint (I used Louis Blue for the fabric and Old White for the wood trim)
– Annie Sloan Soft Wax in Clear
– Paint Brush (I use a regular paint brush – works just fine! but the Annie Sloan brush can be purchased for a whopping $40).
– Sponge Brush or Annie Sloan Wax Brush
– Rag Cloth for wiping down the wax
DIY Painted Fabric Chair Tutorial Steps:
1. Tape the edges of chair so you won’t get the paint for the fabric on the trim.
2. Dip your paintbrush in water then in the paint to get a tiny bit of water in the paint mixture (If you don’t put in a little bit of water the paint will be too thick and the chair will be a little crusty).
3. Paint one layer onto the fabric part of the chair and let dry overnight. I repeated this process until the floral print was no longer present – it took me 3 layers. In between layers I would lightly sand the fabric to make the surface smooth.
4. Paint the trim of the chair and let dry 30-60 minutes – wood dries incredibly fast compared to the fabric and you don’t need to mix the paint with water. Paint a second layer and let dry again.
5. Using a clean sponge paint brush (or Annie Sloan brush made for wax application) apply a small amount of Annie Sloan Soft Wax to the entire chair including the fabric. Waxing the fabric will give the chair a nice leather feel. Wipe down the excess wax with a cotton rag and let set for one day.
Be sure to check out my jewelry creations on my site at Jou Jou My Love!